1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red or green bell pepper, sliced into 1/4 inch thin matchsticks
2 tomatoes, diced
1 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
1 summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
2 Tbsp fresh basil
2 Tbsp fresh oregano (or 2 tsp dried)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil/butter/bacon fat over medium-low heat in a skillet.
2. Add the onion and saute until translucent.
3. Add the garlic and cook a few minutes more.
4. Add the bell pepper and cook until the pepper has softened slightly.
5. Add the tomatoes, zucchini, and summer squash; cook until the zucchini has softened.
6. Add the basil and oregano, simmer for about 10 minutes over medium-low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables aren't mushy yet.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
*** Try adding mushrooms, eggplant, or whatever is fresh.
***Try it over rice with chicken or sausage for a complete meal.