- Rinse the kale, cut or pull off the main stem of each leaf, and cut the remaining leaves into thin strips (1/2 inch or so).
- Toss the cut kale with a few teaspoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. It sounds strange, but massaging the kale softens it and makes it easier to eat. Massage the olive oil into the kale for a minute or two until the kale softens and darkens slightly.
- Whisk together the dressing of your choice.
- Toss the kale with the dressing and any salad ingredients you have in the fridge.
- For sweeter salads, try apple slices, dried cherries or cranberries, Parmesan or feta cheese, sliced pecans or almonds…
- For savory salads, try adding avocado, carrots, tomatoes, red onion, olives, sunflower seeds…
¾ c. olive oil
¼ c. apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. honey (or sugar)
1 ½ Tbsp. chopped onion
Red Wine Dressing
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
6 Tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste